Thursday, July 30, 2009

...they're perfectly aligned.

You've heard it. I've heard it. And even your parents probably have heard it (via 'Garden State' or UPS and M&Ms commercials).

I think everyone loves this song.

I recently started using Pandora again to listen to music. For the past several months I've been trying out Last.fm instead, partially because streaming anything from my school's internet is a major chore. But now that I'm home, I've been able to use Pandora like the good 'ol days. Just the other day I made a new "station" on Pandora using my friend's favorite artists. It was only a little while before Iron and Wine's cover of "Such Great Heights" popped up.

I guess I've never formally listened to this version of the song before then. Apparently it was in 'Garden State' -- the one movie even my professors recognize as a "defining film of this generation." And I recently learned a M&Ms commercial used it a few years back as well. The song's original version, released by The Postal Service in 2003, is featured in those 'whiteboard' UPS ads and is much more 'electronic' than Iron and Wine's whispery rendition.

People know this song. People somehow relate to this song, and I guess that's what this post is about.

The lyrics of the song never really meant anything to me until I heard the Iron and Wine cover. I guess all it takes is a more chill version of a song to make things really click. Before, all I could think about was how catchy the beat was, especially the electronic loop at the beginning.

So what's this all mean? Did I suddenly find another song to add to my favorites? I don't know what it is, but something about Iron and Wine's cover makes me want to have it played at my wedding (I feel like a girl for saying that). Maybe my dream of climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro will someday come true and I can listen to "Such Great Heights" on my iPod at the summit as I look to the horizon and contemplate the vastness of God's creation.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure we've been made into corresponding shapes like puzzle pieces made out of clay.

-Brent

No comments: