Saturday, October 24, 2009

I'm producing a documentary film, and this week is go time

Two other students and I are making a short documentary film. I'm the "student film producer" of the project. My two "team members" are both seniors and have proven themselves more qualified for the job, but nonetheless, my professor assigned me this position in order to "challenge my leadership potential" and "hone my untapped producing skills" (These are roughly her exact words).

This week is our major filming week. Our subject is very time sensitive and basically all of the story is happening between this Monday and Friday. Keep in mind I'm not a real "film student" at a real "film school." I'm doing a film program at a liberal arts college that requires me to take several dozen classes that will provide me with a "general education." Needless to say, I'm having to juggle this film project with things I'd rather put on hold. To put it simple, I don't want to bother with any social work and theology courses this semester when I "got bigger fish to fry."

There's a chance I'll go this whole week without touching any of my other classwork -- and I'm fine with that. I don't think I've ever been so excited and intimidated before about a school project. Whoa, that's odd. That's the first time I ever referred to it as a "school project." It's always been something more to me -- as though my future career (somewhat) depends on the success of this film. In reality, this is my first real "film" attempt -- I got to be prepared for some flops. I doubt I'll look back next semester and say, "Gee, that documentary really came out perfectly; there's noting I would change about it." Our post-production period is a little more than a month long, which is totally foolish sounding. On top of that, all three of us are going to final exams and other things due come mid-December. I feel like I have to prepare myself for shortcomings -- and the thought alone makes me cringe.

I need to be praying about this documentary and my role as producer. In a nutshell, the producer's role is to make sure the project gets done right and that everyone is happy. To be honest, I'm terrified about not making everyone happy -- especially my two team members and our film's subject. I also need to pray for the weather to clear up -- most of the film is taking place outside. It's late October in northern Indiana and the rain is halfway frozen. I would give an arm and a leg for the overcast to clear up. I'm afraid to look at the 6-day forecast.

No comments: