Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Idealist

Being in school until the week before Christmas has it's ups and downs - but mostly downs. This is a post about one of those "downs."

There once was a time when holiday shopping felt magical (for lack of a better term). For me, it always seems like Christmas is "happening" wherever there are green wreaths, tress, and colored lights - and what better place to experience that than at the mall or at your local "everything store" (Walmart, Target). I was the type of kid growing up who seemingly worshiped the artificial tree in our family room - not for the presents and gifts - but rather the symbol the tree represented. Without sounding lofty or whatever, I'll admit that I really am hung up on the traditional Christmas experience. I'll even brave our city mall with only a few shopping days left to catch a glimpse of the so-called "Holy Ghost of Christmas."

I can't put my finger on it, but I like to think this season has an aura to it - an artificial glow put off by colored lights, green garland, and my grandmother's Christmas punch.

There's me being an idealist again...

Anyways, Merry Christmas.

-B

No comments: