Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thurday August 7, 2008; with one week left to go

Well, it's about 10:49 on a Thursday night and I'm sitting at the lobby computer at a Best Western in Branson, MO. Tonight marks the first time in three weeks that I've had "real" internet access. All other attempts to get online have been in vain due to the strict staff policies of Kanakuk Kamps. However, I'm now on my night off. I've eaten some "real" food (Chipotle to be exact) and am getting ready for a refreshing night of air conditioning and a mattress that's over 3 inches thick. Absolute heaven.

As I've previously mentioned, I'm in Branson working at a Christian sports camp this month. I've got about a billion things to talk about -- but sadly computer access in the lobby is limited to 30 minutes and there appears to be a young girl here who wishes to check on her Webkinz. Anyways, I've got plenty to talk about in the comming weeks.

I'll be arriving back home sometime on the 12th of August...that is if I can figure out this Greyhound bus situation. That's right, I didn't drive myself from Indy to Branson like I originally planned. I instead took a Greyhound bus. Worst experience ever. EVER.

Let's move on.

Kamp has been great -- truly great. And that's not a typo -- Kanakuk replaces every word that starts with a "C" with a big 'ol "K". So, instead of being a counselor, I'm actually a kounselor. Instead of residing in Cabin 8, I'm really living in Kabin 8.

Anyways, lets move on with a more serious tone. I've learned a lot since I've been here -- and most of the insights I've gained have been through the kids. I've talked with two brothers from Cairo, Egypt who are probably the funniest people I've met. I've had a tear-jerking conversation with a boy named Caegan who fears for the eternal safety of his deaf and mentally handicapped older sister. He told me he prays every night that she'll have a new, restored body in Heaven. And this guy's 10 years old. Can you believe that?

Well, that's all I really have time for tonight. I wish I could go into detail like I usually do, but that'll have to wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i enjoyed reading about camp, and you made the best western sound nice and homey! can't wait to read about the rest of your adventures. miss you.

-KP