Monday, October 13, 2008

Gloriously Vague: The Indie Stereotype

Second post in one day? This must be special

Okay. Time for a confession.

For the longest time (give or take 6 months) I've been afraid of a certain stereotype; however in the back of my mind I've been been secretly striving to achieve its title. I'm indie, I think.

According to Urban Dictionary, "indie" has a vast myriad of meanings. The most popular and reoccurring definition refers to music -- "Indie Rock". Short for "independent rock", the title is pretty much tacked on to any album that isn't under a major label. Even this can be reduced to a stereotype in itself: indie music is anything that isn't popular. I'll be the first to admit that there's a certain sense of "togetherness" and "universality" in enjoying a band that is hardly known outside its suburban hometown. You're just as normal, lame, quirky and unique as that dude up on stage rocking the electric mandolin or that girl in her mid-twenties who probably dropped out of art school to play keyboard and sing lead vocals.

When not referring to music, indie (according again to Urban Dictionary -- the infinite source of all things useless) is more of a style stereotype. If anything, it's a stereotype for someone who has no stereotype.

So yeah...I think that describes me. Of all the possible stereotypes out there, I'd rather have "indie" than anything else. This way I'm void of all stereotypes. Yay!

No comments: