Sunday, October 26, 2008

Maybe Limbo

As much as I don't want my blog to turn into a place where I pour out my frustrations, I can't help but do a little recap on some recent (very recent) events.

I attempted this afternoon, against much hesitation and second-guessing, to make a "first move" towards forming a "more-than-friends" relationship with a special someone. I can tell you right here and now that I'm currently in the worst position possible: the Maybe Limbo.

Maybe is never a good answer -- not just in regards to asking a girl to hang out (in the library of all places!), but in almost every sense. Saying maybe is tantalizing. It gives you a glimpse of hope that appears so pleasantly close; however, if I know anything about girls (in which case I do, thanks to having two sisters), saying "maybe" is usually a method of avoidance. Okay. I can't speak for everyone -- especially the person who I'm attempting to pursue -- but I can tell you that giving the maybe is almost always subtle substitute for a blatant no.

Here's how I see it: If she truly wanted to get to know me more and hang out (in the library of all places!), she would have said yes. Flip the situation around: What would you do if you were asked by someone you secretly liked to hang out? You would probably drop all prior engagements and honestly try to make it work. Saying maybe doesn't have much enthusiasm behind it. Welcome to the Maybe Limbo.

Well, I'm still in the Maybe Limbo as I sit here at my desk typing into early hours of the evening -- anxiously waiting for a text message I truthfully want to come more than anything. I'm trying my best to be confident. I sadly have a history of failed relationships, and now I've put a lot of consideration and, to be honest, prayer into my current actions. I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't certain I wanted it. I've grown to take this sort of thing seriously (maybe too seriously). What can I say? I don't want to get hurt and, more importantly, I don't want to hurt anyone else. The way I see it, this approach should work. So far I think it works...well, I can't say for certain. My success rate still remains low.

Maybe I'll give this approach a maybe.

1 comment:

BrightBoy said...

You seem like a very sweet person, and, unfortunately, society seems to have little use for sweet people.

Stay that way, though, please. I was very sweet (and very religious) at one point of my life, and then starting about two years ago a lot happened that changed me.

If she said maybe, she probably does mean no. You never know, though.

The summer before my Freshman Year of college, I asked a girl out twice and she said no both times. Then, that Christmas Break, she came to my house and asked me out.

Just try to go with whatever happens.

Although you may not want to hear this, being open to relationships that are not serious or committed can help you to gain experience that will take away your nervousness and uncertainty, and lead you, through trial and error, to the special one eventually.

I myself have very little experience with girls, having never gone farther than making out, but that's just my observation.