Sunday, October 19, 2008

This post takes a random turn halfway...

Okay. First of all I need to thanks my new "follower" here on Blogger. I actually had no idea there were such things on here...but I guess there are.

So this weekend was fall break and yesterday I had the (distinguished) privilege to attend the Heartland Film Festival Gala in Indianapolis. It was totally random that I managed to score a ticket -- and for free, that is! I'm slowly learning that my profs are kinda...well, up in the business. They know people -- important people.

Anyways, the gala was ridiculously awesome. I was almost worried that I would be underdressed with my unmatching tuxedo and pants (I had to mix and match with my roommate's wardrobe). Still, black is black and the night was dubbed a "black tie affair"; you can never go wrong if you show up in a monochromatic ensemble. But still, there were some very classy people there. The air of the lobby reaked of Prada suits and gold cuff links. I felt out of place. Majorly.

I was there with 7 other students who (as far as I know) shared in my misplacement. We were young. Most everyone there was over 40 I'm guessing. It's this type of crowd that makes it possible for the institute to give away so much money to the festival winners. I'm betting if you make even a slightly generous donation you'll be forever glorified as an honorable patron.

Blah blah blah. Let's skip the award ceremony details and fastforward to the afterparty. I'll have you know that it was here that I was offered for the first time in my life if I'd like "a drink". That's right -- I never got smashed drinking Jack or Corona or "that cheap stuff" in the basement of some parentless suburban home during my high school years. No, it was at a film festival afterparty that I, for the first time in my life, could have drank alcohol. And I proudly declined -- thank you very much. All you ignorant high school juniors who think you're the bee's knees for downing a whole bottle can take said bottle and _______ it in your ________ .

Replace the above blanks with "throw" and "recycling can". Gotta keep it PG. Do your part. Recycle.

I don't know why, but I wanted to point that out. It has little to do with the festival, but I figured it was worth mentioning. Drunkenness infuriates me. And what infuriates me more is when it's underage. I like to eliminate the possibility of ever "losing myself" to something as materialistic and selfish as alcohol by abstaining from it.

Okay. Done rambling. Byeeeeeeeee.

1 comment:

BrightBoy said...

You have some pretty bedrock morals, which is something I definitely respect. I'm sure that your life has more meaning and structure because of your beliefs.

I used to not drink either, but starting my Freshman Year of college I did partake a bit.

I'm such a lightweight, though, that I only ever have alcohol once every few months.

And yes, I am underage--but it'll be legal at the end of this school year.