Thursday, May 28, 2009

Should I go see The Decemberists?



That's right. On August 8th they're coming to Indy. And for less than $30, I can experience the folkish-indie band most white suburban "twenty-somethings" swoon over. I know I do. For sure.

Believe it or not, Indianapolis sees very few influential/authentic/noteworthy bands. Most of the time we see bands that are:

1) Utterly mainstream -- meaning you'll never feel special after the concert ends because everyone who listens to music probably sees them (i.e. Blue Man Group, John Mayer, or any rap artist except Jay-Z)

2) Awful -- like real bad (i.e. fake Coldplay and U2 bands)

3) Not even bands -- they're more like "shows" (most venues in Indy sell out to musicals that everyone's already seen twice in their life)

I guess I'm asking if I should go see The Decemberists in concert because it appears that I have no reason not to go. The tickets are relatively cheap (and not sold out yet, I think). But a good friend of mine who I trust musically with my life recently put down The Decemberists, saying:

"The only people who listen to The Decemberists are white suburban kids who think Irish-inspired shanties about gypsies are meaningful."

Whoa. Deep stuff. I had to back away and think about that one when he said it. I sometimes get in the habit of believeing everything he says regarding music taste, but something told me he was (possibly) right. This whole classy, hip 'n humble indie culture The Decemberists try to define with their music doesn't really do much for me. Going to their concert would only mean I'll walk away proud that I chose them over a Coldplay concert (I recently declined an offer due to lame "lawn" steats). But don't get me wrong -- I enjoy their music! If I decide to go (granted I find someone to bring along), I'll for sure have a blast.

I guess I've made up my mind, huh? Well, like I said, I need someone to tag along with me. I'm not sure I feel strong enough to be surrounded by all those "indie kids" all by my lonesome.

Possible date invite for a lucky lady?

1 comment:

AutumnLuis said...

go see them! i heard they are real good.

and if i was in indy - i would totally go....but im about 4 1/2 hours away. shucks.