Friday, June 12, 2009

Just went uninvited to an old friend's 21st bday party

...and it was disappointing.



Somewhere between seeing a dude out cold on a sofa and having to remind myself for the third time to divert my eyes from a ringing iPhone lodged securely between a pair of breasts did I realize the "post-highschool/summer-home-from-college" party scene is about the worst experience ever. Especially when you never plan on drinking.

I turned 21 a month and a half ago. We went to a Thai restaurant and I drank water since it's free. Overall, my big "two-one" celebration lasted 2 hours. This girl's party had been going on for four days -- four days someone told me. But she's the type of girl that fits that bill -- prancing around her parent's basement in heels, white strapless dress and a plastic tiara. To be honest, she looked horrid -- clearly heavier than the last I saw her (which was graduation perhaps?) and practically spilling out the top of her dress. I slid past one of her "besties" as I went down the basement stairs -- her appearance almost identical to the birthday girl's (minus the tiara).

"Whoa...awkward. Did not expect you see you here."

She gave me one of those judgemental looks as though she just tasted something sour with her eyes.

"Uh, yeah. Good to see you too."

Amidst the cheap beer and even cheaper vodka I found a few familiar faces. But no one has changed. Even the damn playlist hasn't changed -- her iHome was still playing the same jams from two years ago (a bunch of old T-Pain and Akon songs -- reminded me of prom night 'o7 ).

"I don't belong here," I told myself.

I've gotten use to the reality of post-highschool summers. I chose not to go to the state university everyone from my high school goes to; I instead chose a small private college up north and I've not regretted my decision once. The friendships they have among themselves look pitiful. They don't look happy. They just look...wasted.

1 comment:

AutumnLuis said...

thank god for the small private schools out there that hold second families that we can go to for anything.....