Saturday, April 25, 2009

Tacobel Canon: My Influential Song of the Week

I've been raiding my neighbor's iTunes for about 3 weeks now. His hard drive seriously has everything I could ever want on it -- and since he's such a rad guy, he's all for a quick Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V maneuver between music libraries.

Listen to this: "Tacobel Canon" by Ratatat



I seriously kept this song on repeat for a good hour. If I could make legitimate music and not just crappy Garage Band beats, I'd make stuff like this. Musically, this is great stuff.

My neighbor Matt has the "Reason" program loaded on his labtop -- which is like a glorified Garage Band on steroids. Pretty much if you understand a lick of music theory and can master the program, you're on your way making "good" music. We've been fiddling around with Reason and a little midi keyboard these past couple months and have cranked out two really good beats -- both of which Matt has written flat-out absurd lyrics to (with a few verses by me just to keep this a collab project). One of our "rap" songs simply glorifies the obese female population in America -- a song appropriatly labeled "Fatties". Somehow I'm getting the "Lonely Island" taste in my mouth. Comedy-rap has its limits, and those guys seem to get pretty close to it.

But I can't lie, "I'm On a Boat" made me laugh really, really hard.

I guess my preference would be to make "less lyrical" music a la Ratatat -- none of that rambuncious "rap" stuff that's only good for club-grinding and/or a few good laughs.

Well, I hope "Tacobel Canon" provided the right vibe for this blog post.

No comments: